Wednesday, September 9, 2009

And I'll Never Have That Recipe Again

So I’m listening to Avril Lavigne in the shower this morning. And yes, I can hear you mocking. It's not that I like most of her stuff, it's that I knew it would be pointless to try and find a better option. There's the Jack Diamond Show, which best I can tell is a tiny room overflowing with interns whose sole job is to guffaw loudly at his "jokes." DC 101 always seems to be talking about someone's STD. The guy on 100.3 seems to get his material directly from People magazine, with the extra annoying benefit of ending each "news tidbit" with a long pause followed by a bad punch line. Ergo, Avril Lavigne.

Often I'll point out something about a song's lyrics, and Jeremy will say something like, "Oh, I never listen to the lyrics." Well, I do. Most are horribly predictable and silly. Some, however, are more inane than others. I give you:

When You're Gone

I always needed time on my own
I never thought I'd need you there when I cry
And the days feel like years when I'm alone
And the bed where you lie is made up on your side

*OK, uninteresting and cheesy. No surprise there.

When you walk away I count the steps that you take

*OCD much? Do you also make him flick the light switch a certain number of times when he leaves?

Do you see how much I need you right now

*Hello?? Are you listening to yourself? He just walked away. He can't see you.

[Chorus]
When you're gone
The pieces of my heart are missing you

*OK…have you somehow managed to extract your heart, cut it into pieces, and remain living? Did the pieces hold a vote on whether or not to miss him? Is a consensus needed, or just a majority?


When you're gone
The face I came to know is missing too

*Ew. Taken literally, unless this is some kind of Frankenstein's monster situation, this is really disturbing (actually, in both cases it is really disturbing).


When you're gone
The words I need to hear to always get me through the day and make it ok

*Uh…ever heard of a phone?

I miss you

*I think you've made that clear.

I've never felt this way before
Everything that I do reminds me of you
And the clothes you left, they lie on the floor
And they smell just like you, I love the things that you do

*OK, assuming the clothes remain where he left them (what a pig, BTW)…you can smell them from the floor? What does he do for a living—Zoologist? Garbage man? Manage a sulfur plant?

[Chorus]

We were made for each other

*More evidence for the Frankenstein theory.

Out here forever

*Out where? Do you live on a nature commune? House boat? Dude ranch?

I know we were, yeah
All I ever wanted was for you to know
Everything I'd do, I'd give my heart and soul

*All of your heart, or just a few pieces?

I can hardly breathe I need to feel you here with me, yeah

*You're doing a lot of screeching for someone who can "hardly breathe."

[Chorus]

***********************************************************************

Appalling, right? But sadly, still loads better than listening to Jack Diamond. Even more sadly, "When You're Gone" doesn't hold a candle to the inanity that is "Hey There Delilah." It rhymes "good" with…wait for it…"good." And yet, both songs made millions.

Perhaps I am in the wrong profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment