Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Unemployment, Day One

The battle between me and the DVR began in earnest:

Gossip Girl: You know you want to watch me.
Mary: I can’t! Must…be…productive!
Gossip Girl: Ha! We both know you can’t resist bad tween television.
Mary: But the laundry situation is so dire that I had to resort to my strapless bra today!
Gossip Girl: But you’re unemployed…you don’t need clean clothes! And don’t you want to know if Chuck and Blair get back together?
Mary: Yes…but I haven’t been to the gym since the Bush administration…
Gossip Girl: You are powerless over me.

And so it continued. And yes, I watched Gossip Girl, but I did do laundry and go to the gym, so it’s a draw. (And, dammit, just remembered that yesterday was Monday and there’s another Gossip Girl sitting there on the DVR, tantalizing me with its teen angst and ridiculous-yet-captivating fashion).

In all seriousness, I do think I need a small mourning period before putting the freelance plan into action. Because you can do a good job, and be well liked, and still, as my former co-worker put it, “be served a shit sandwich.” And Good God does that piss me off when I think about it.

So, to recap: Day One: Great American Novel not written.
However, Day Two: Wearing a real bra again!

Small victories, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment