Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How Can I Miss You if You Won't Go Away?

My dog likes to greet me in the morning by running up to the bedside and snorting in my face. And yet, this is still better than being awakened by the alarm clock at 5:30. Tilly of course has to adjust to my new schedule, too. After many failed attempts to teach her to tell time (I don't care if it's 2 pm, you're home and thus it must be walk/supper time!), I've given up and gotten used to her glaring at me until she gets what she wants.

For both our sakes, I am spending the morning at a Panera. I'm trying to be productive, but I chose a seat facing the menu, and every time I look up I find something else that I'd like to eat for lunch...two hours from now. Darn you, soup in a bread bowl!

I continue to find amusement (or at least bemusement) in the kinds of people I find out in the middle of a work day. Not too many obvious stay-at-home moms at Panera...rather, this seems to be the hangout of the slightly-addled-yet-charming old person. Perhaps, instead of my Baby Bjorn and Cabbage Patch Kid idea, I could adopt a slightly-demented grandparent and have them accompany me to coffee shops. Who knew unemployment would afford me so many different options? Outstanding!

And I've just eavesdropped on a conversation between the manager and the health inspector. They received an A-, so it looks like it'll be safe to order lunch here (two hours from now).

No comments:

Post a Comment