Tuesday, August 25, 2009

En gång i Sverige

My favorite quote from my recent trip to Stockholm: "If I've learned anything walking around this city, it's that the Vikings did everything naked." Thanks, Sean. If I learned anything walking around Stockholm, it's that the Swedes never met a legging they didn't like.

Of course, Stockholm was gorgeous. Seventy degrees, clear blue skies, a light breeze…although I am assured that it is not quite so lovely in, say, January. The people are out of this world—friendly, English-speaking (hooray), gorgeous and…tan? How does that happen? As if the women weren't beautiful enough, they're naturally tan? Sweden is also in the midst of a baby boom. I am convinced that they are breeding an army of blond, leggy soldiers to woo us all into submission.

The real reason for the trip was my friend Red's wedding. Everything was beautiful, and a nice mix of Swedish and American tradition. I loved that, since the letter 'V' doesn't really exist in Swedish, the minister led them in an "Exchange of Wows." Also, at one point the toastmaster, who had just finished telling us about some of the Swedish Prime Minister's gaffes in English (thanking someone from the heart of his bottom, etc.), proceeded to tell us to "shave ourselves." I'm still not sure what he was actually trying to say. I didn't think we were a particularly hairy group.

I think the turning point for the festivities was after the white wine course and the Akvavit course (some kind of liquor made from potatoes), but before the first food course was served. Since I had signed up to give a toast, and I didn't know when my time would come, I held back a bit on the alcohol. I could just envision myself launching into a Swedish Chef impression while telling embarrassing stories about the bride. Thankfully my time slot turned out to be pretty early in the evening.

After my toast it all becomes a bit of a blur. Red wine, Bailey's on ice, Swedish drinking songs which required us all to link arms and sway back and forth…not to mention champagne on the boat ride over and seabreezes upon our arrival at the reception site. At brunch the next morning, I had to admit that I wasn't quite sure how we'd gotten back to the hotel the night before. I'm told that the same group that had marched through Stockholm to the pier, following the beautiful bride and groom with balloons and greenery (Exhibit A), had upon its return from the pier devolved into a mad Swedish/American mass of drunkards stumbling about in dress shoes (Exhibit B).

Exhibit A:










Exhibit B:










It was a time that I will always remember (well…mostly, anyway)! Congratulations, Red and Nils!

No comments:

Post a Comment