Monday, April 25, 2011

You know, I'm getting input here that I'm reading as relatively hostile.

First off, a very happy birthday to my favorite husband today! I have been teasing him about adding his name to the wait list of a nursing home. Of course, if he makes such a comment next year, when I turn the age he is now, I will show him a less pleasant use for a birthday candle not take it as well. Thankfully he is slightly more tolerant than I am.

So my big adventure last week was to show up unannounced at a performance of my old piano teacher. My piano teacher married my clarinet teacher, although when I last saw them they were both married to someone else (scandal!). I thought I would show up and let them see how well I turned out, but I swear I walked into the room and saw them, and was immediately transported back to my teenage awkwardness (the one difference between my teenage awkwardness and my adult awkwardness? I can now hide it better). I remembered that my clarinet teacher had once told me I had "the brain of a squirrel." I don't even know what that means, but of course it has stuck with me. Still, they seem to have remembered me fondly. Plus my piano teacher complimented my shoes, which in my mind translates to "Your footwear is fabulous and thus so are you."

J, Tilly and I have been in SC for the past few days with family. Tilly, being the most neurotic in our little family (and that's saying a lot), is slightly freaked at being in a new place. She needs to know where everyone is at all times, and if she doesn't, she basically won't eat or be still. Plus, the stairs are wood, and she has had to learn that she can't charge up and down them like she does the carpeted stairs at home. After a few slips, she has perfected a technique that's reminiscent of someone with a club foot walking across hot coals.

So what does the upcoming week hold? Well, tomorrow will be dominated by hours in the car and fast food. And Friday I'm just going to have to watch the royal wedding hoopla, if only for fodder for this here blog. I did enjoy this quote from a Briton in The Washington Post:

“You [Americans] had your whole revolution to get rid of them!” bellows Michael Urwin, who owns a pub in central London. “And now you want them! Take them! Just take them!”

No comments:

Post a Comment